Sunday, May 6, 2012

Fen-Phen Alternative


The weight loss drug Fen-phen was pulled from the market in 1997 because of dangerous side effects.  By the looks of it, this weight loss ad may have been stuck to a local light pole shortly after Fen-phen was banned.

Under normal circumstances I wouldn't post back-to-back photos of items stuck to light poles, but this ad seems so appropriate for the start of a weight loss blog.  Don't we all wish there was a magic pill that could melt away 50 pounds of bad choices we've made through the years? 

I have some friends who have recently lost a lot of weight while taking a doctor prescribed appetite suppressant.  I can see the value of that, but these people have also drastically change the way they eat.  They eat far less and much healthier, a guaranteed route to losing weight.  Is the pill they take helping physically or mostly psychologically?  I don't know and I'm not sure if it matters either way.  What I do know is that the pill wouldn't have worked without the greatly modified change in diet. 

I'm working on greatly modifying my diet.  In a way the walking for me is like the pill my friends are taking.  The walking will help my physically, but there's also the psychological aspect of keeping me committed to this effort of losing weight.  For me, doing something natural like walking is a far better choice than going to the doctor and asking for a pill to help me do what I should be able to do on my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment